History

 

The History of First Baptist Church Creedmoor

The First Baptist Church Creedmoor was organized December 14, 1895 by the following from Concord Baptist Church, Johnnie Clark, Thomas B. Lyon, Dr. J.F. Sanderford and Ralph Currin, Sr.; from Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, R.H. Rogers, J.H. Bowling and S.J. Rogers; from Roxboro First Baptist Church, H.T. Williams; from Durham First Baptist Church, T.J. Howerman; and from Flat River Union, Richard Peed. 

The charter members were Rev. M.P. Davis, Arizona Davis (later Mrs. Sam C. Lyon), Edith Davis (later Mrs. Sion Rogers), Sion Rogers, Thomas B. Lyon, Lucy Freeman and J.F. Freeman.  Dr. J.F. Sanderford was elected deacon and secretary of First Baptist Church Creedmoor in December 1895.  The church was accepted into the Flat River Baptist Association on December 14, 1895.

A Breathtaking Campus

Land and timber for the original church structure was donated by the Lyon Family.  The location of this first building was on Elm Street. The church cemetery was located behind the building and remain at that location today even though the building is gone.  This first structure was remodeled in 1924 and increased the capacity to 300.

The present Sanctuary was built in 1950 with the Educational wing added in 1965.  In 1999 the Family Life Center was constructed to include a gym, kitchen, offices and additional classrooms.  FBC Academy, constructed on the former location of the mule barns and auction center, opened in 2001.  To expanded the capacity of FBC Academy and provide additional multipurpose space the congregation renovated and occupied the Candle of Love Building in August 2015.

A Purpose to Reach the World for Christ

First Baptist is known for reaching the world with the grace, love and mercy of the Gospel.  Missions located on the campus include a Food & Clothes Mission, a Thrift Shop (all proceeds support local missions) as well As FBC Academy.

The Church takes on projects such as Upward Basketball & Cheerleading, Caring for Creedmoor and Share the Warmth in an effort to meet needs within the community while sharing Christ with them.  Women’s and Men’s Mission groups take on causes to support missionaries (a church member was commissioned to medical missions in Jamaica in 2006), the Oxford Orphanage and others.

The proclamation of the Gospel, the beautiful campus and all of the mission and ministry activities speak to the fact that God has had His hand on the congregation here at First Baptist Creedmoor for over a century.  To God Be the Glory!